The NLUJ Alumni Association, in collaboration with the Recruitment and Internship Coordination Committee, organised a "Career Week" for the third, fourth and fifth year students of our University. The event was held over a span of eleven days, from October 18 - 28, 2021, with each day dedicated to a different career path. Each session was moderated by members of the Alumni Association - Mr. Shohit Choudhry, Mr. Arpit Gupta, and Ms. Akshaya Bhansali - and was aimed at providing the right guidance to the students so as to minimise the gap between the theoretical knowledge of law and the practical aspect of it.
The details of the sessions are as follows:
Day 1: Introduction by the NLUJAA
- Date: 18-10-2021
- Speakers: Mr. Shashank Agarwal (President, NLUJAA), Mr. Shohit Choudhry (Secretary, NLUJAA), and Mr. Arjun Rao (Member, NLUJAA)
- The esteemed panelists set the pace for an insightful career week by setting up the protocol for the interaction.
Day 2: Litigation
Day 3: Law Firms
- Date: 19-10-2021
- Speakers: Mr. T Sundar Ramanathan (2007 batch), Ms. Mithu Jain (2009 batch), and Mr. Yakshay Chheda (2010 batch)
- The panelists shared useful insights about the pros and cons of litigation as a career. They also guided the students regarding the important things that should be kept in mind while starting out as a litigating lawyer.
Day 4: In-house
- Date: 20-10-2021
- Speakers: Ms. Priyanka Kumar (2008 batch), Mr. Sameer Jain (2008 batch), and Ms. Nandini Seth (2013 batch)
- The speakers shared their experience of working in law firms across the country. They also answered students’ questions about the scope of flexibility between different areas of law, expectations from a junior associate, and work-life balance.
Day 5: Judiciary
- Date: 21-10-2021
- Speakers: Ms. Annie (2014 LL.M batch), Mr. Arun Madhu (2007 batch), Mr. Puneet Parihar (2009 batch), and Ms. Rajarshi Sen (2009 batch).
- The alumni shared their experience of working as in-house counsels in different organisations and enlightened the students about the roles, and the skills required for the positions, among other things.
Day 6: Civil Services
- Date: 22-10-2021
- Speakers: Ms. Sonali Singh (2010 batch), Mr. Sandeep Chaitanya (2013 batch), Mohd. Salik Ur Rahman (2013 batch), and Mr. Harshit Sharma (2019 batch)
- The panelists, who are at different levels of the judiciary in Punjab & Haryana, Bihar, and Rajasthan, guided the students about preparation for the judicial services, crucial subjects for judicial exams, the duties of a judge, and the challenges encountered therein.
Day 7: Foreign Law Firms
- Date: 23-10-2021
- Speakers: Ms. Ananya Agarwal (2009 batch), Ms. Sheema Nabi (2011 batch), Ms. Jayantika Singh (2013 batch), and Ms. Prateeti Goyal (2014 batch)
- The panelists, who are highly regarded officers in various wings of the civil services, spoke to the students about preparation for the civil services examination. They shared their wisdom and guidance regarding essay questions, subjects, and abstract questions, among many other things. They also shared some interesting anecdotes from their day-to-day work.
Day 8: Non-legal Careers
- Date: 24-10-2021
- Speakers: Mr. Arunava Mukherjee (2009 batch), Mr. Siddhartha Shukla (2009 batch), Mr. Manu Thadikkaran (2013 batch), and Mr. Ali Amerjee (2015 batch)
- The panelists spoke to the students about pursuing a career at law firms in foreign countries. The alumni members answered students' questions on transitioning from an Indian law firm to a foreign law firm, the experience of working in a different jurisdiction, and the skills required for working in a foreign law firm.
Day 9: LL.M/Masters/Academia
- Date: 25-10-2021
- Speakers: Mr. Aditya Nag (2007 batch), Ms. Sagarika Chakraborty (2008 batch), Mr. Kanishk Kakkar (2011 batch), Ms. Divya Sood (2013 batch), and Ms. Aashna Jain (2018 batch)
- Students were given advice on how to pursue occupations other than law. The panelists spoke to students on the value of getting a MBA, shifting from a legal to a non-legal background, balancing risks and possibilities, and making difficult career decisions.
Day 10: Research & Policy
- Date: 26-10-2021
- Speakers: Ms. Vyoma Jha (2009 batch), Mr. Kartikey Mahajan (2011 batch), Ms. Puloma Mukherjee (2013 batch), and Mr. Ashwin Mishra (2016 batch)
- The alumni members guided the students about various aspects of pursuing an LLM degree. They also shed some light on the general and specialised LL.M. courses, and postgraduate programmes other than an LL.M.
Day 11: Insurance
- Date: 27-10-2021
- Speakers: Mr. Sridar P. Kannan (2009 batch), Ms. Inayat Singh Kakar (2013 batch), Ms. Akriti Gaur (2015 batch), and Mr. Arpit Gupta (2016 batch)
- The panelists apprised the students about the broad area of ‘policy’ and what it entails. They also spoke about how to enter the policy space and upcoming areas like tech policy.
- Date: 28-10-2021
- Speakers: Mr. Madhur Taksali (2006 M.B.A. Insurance batch), Mr. Bhishma Maheshwari (2006 M.B.A. Insurance batch), and Mr. Sameer Bhatnagar (2005 M.B.A., LL.M. batch)
- The speakers spoke to the students about the scope for law students in the insurance sector, which is generally regarded as an unconventional career option. They also enlightened the students about the differences in legal and non-legal roles in the insurance sector and how students may avail of the same.